Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The weather, ya think?

Totally exhausted today! No energy whatsoever..I'm thinking that maybe it's the gloomy weather. Micro lab was short & sweet tonight - in at 6:00 and out by 6:45. Still can't believe that I am actually enjoying that class. Home by 8:00 to find Madison baking cookies for her teacher's birthday, tomorrow. The laptop was on the island, (yikes) and she was following a recipe from Food Network for vanilla sugar cookies, while singing to The Jonas Brothers. She did a great job..really good cookies. My friend & co-worker brought me some pure vanilla from Mexico..what a difference that makes when baking.
As long as we are talking baking, I want to share an old family recipe for Apple Joy Cake. I made two for last Sunday's adventure. Not sure where the recipe originated from, but I do remember my Mom, Nana & Aunt Sandy making this cake. My Uncle Scott commented that "Ma stopped putting the glaze on because it was too sweet for me". He always referred to my late Aunt Sandy as "Ma". I was happy to have made something that brought back memories from the past and especially of my Dear Aunt. I love her.

APPLE JOY CAKE
3 eggs, beaten
Add to that: 1 1/2 c oil
2 c sugarBold
1t vanilla Stir well.
Add: 3 c flour
1t b. soda
1t salt
Beat all. Fold in 3 c chopped apples
and 1 c walnuts. Bake 1.5 hours at 350 in angel food pan.
Frosting: 1 c brown sugar, 1/4 c milk, 1 /2 stick butter
boil two minutes & pour over cake
OCTOBER POLL RESULTS: 14 votes & wine tasting wins the most votes, followed by a tie for a long drive & tailgate party. One person liked cutting wood, another liked apple picking, and two wanted a hayride. Stay tuned for November's poll next week(gobble, gobble)
I am so glad to have Wednesday off. I plan to catch up on my readings for nursing lecture and study for Thursday's Micro exam. We postponed Logan's senior pictures until a week from Wednesday, as the weather is supposed to be yucky tomorrow (wouldn't be good for outdoor shots). Making broccoli cheddar soup in the crockpot. Wednesday is such a crazy busy night at the Abbott house, the crockpot comes in handy. Madison has dance from 6:30 - 8:15. Logan comes home after school, but then returns for a late night practice. I will leave by 4:00, to get up to the college for lecture and then a late night lab.

Here is some of my new "stash" including the dark brown "fisherman's wool" that I purchased today to make Jay these for his birthday, next week. I think these will be perfect for him since he often works in harsh weather, but can't wear the bulky gloves. These mitts might go over well for hunting season, also. Madison's new LL Bean coat should be delivered tomorrow. The orange, variegated alpaca is for her scarf & hat. Emily's scarf is off the needles.

No comments: